Saturday, November 10, 2012

Each and Everyday is a Gift

A friend of mine just kicked cancers ass!!! I am so excited  for him and his family.  My step mom was able to kick breast cancers ass, so there are a number of people who have won the battle.  Unfortunately there are far to many people who are taken by the horrible disease. My  sister in law was one of the most wonderful people in the world but unfortunately didn't win her battle.  My ex husband has had several surgeries to remove skin cancer tumors as well as his father and grandfather.  I can't believe how much cancer touches everyone.

I just found out that I am a BRAC 2 gene carrier.

What does  BRCA2  mean :

 A gene on chromosome 13 that normally helps to suppress cell growth. A person who inherits certain mutations (changes) in a BRCA2 gene has a higher risk of getting breast, ovarian, prostate, and other types of cancer.http://www.cancer.gov/dictionary?cdrid=46742
I am on a course of preventative measures I go for my first course of mammogram, sonogram and MRI to get a baseline soon.  I have to wait for my insurance to agree to the testing.  Then I will be monitored every 6 months.  I am thankful for medical technology that lets me know how to start getting on with the rest of my life.  Am I worried I will end up with cancer?? A little but at least now I know one way I might get cancer.  I also wear sunscreen to help prevent getting skin cancer and I go to a dermatologist to have my moles looked at.  I am lucky so far I am cancer free and I pray that I stay that way but if I can't I pray that I am able to kick cancer's ass the way my friend just did.

So for now I am just thankful for each and every day that God has been able to give me.  I hope that everyone is able to take each day as a gift even if it's one you have to struggle for.   I come such a long way from where I was a few years ago.  When I was struggling through my depression news like being a carrier for BRCA2 would have been devastating not a blessing.  Now I am able to see it as a blessing a daily reminder that I am only here for a short while and that I should make each and every moment worth living.


No comments:

Post a Comment